Summer Reading 2014
Welcome to Summer Reading, 2014!
Here on the website, you can access a lot of information about summer reading. If you want to know what's happening around the city, check out the Summer Reading Events page and look to the Events box on the left for a printable program.
What is Summer Reading?
• A free 8 week program at your library that encourages babies, children, tweens, teens and adults to read throughout the summer.
• Everyone can register, read, and be eligible for fun incentives (prizes).
• There are free programs and workshops in our libraries all summer long.
How do I sign up?
• Visit your local ABC Library from May 31 to July 25.
• Fill out a registration form at the Summer Reading Desk.
• Babies, Kids, Tweens and Teens will receive a reading log, bookmark and a schedule of summer activities.
• Adults will receive a reading card and a special events for adults bookmark.
How Do I Earn Prizes?
Babies & Kids (up to Age 8), Tweens (Age 9-12) and Teens (Age 13-18) can visit their library every week to earn a different incentive.
Bring in your reading log to show us what you have accomplished! There will be a Tween grand prize drawing at each branch, and a system-wide grand prize drawing for Teens. Tween and Teen grand prize drawing entries are earned by attending special events held at Library branches.
Adults (age 18+) can submit completed reading cards any time. Weekly prize drawings will be held at each branch. There will also be a system-wide grand prize drawing.
Why is SUMMER READING important?
Studies have shown that children who read during the summer generally maintain their reading skills, and that children who see their parents read, or who read with their parents generally have scored higher on standardized tests.
How can I support Summer Reading Program?
You can make a donation to support Summer Reading @ the library.
Please visit Friends for the Public Library for information.
Summer Reading Events
Summer Reading kicks off on Saturday, May 31st. Please check the event tab for specific event details!
Passport to the Libraries!
Visit different library branches and get entered to win a fantastic family prize!
Step 1: Visit any branch to recieve a library passport
Step 2: Take your passport when you visit different branches and get it stamped by staff.
Step 3: When you have at least 5 libraries stamped, show it to a library staff person to get an entry form.
Step 4: Visit 5 more branches to get entered again! And again!
All completed entry forms will be entered into a special family prize drawing for a Birthday Party for 8 from iT'Z!
SRP en Español
Lee libros. ¡Gana premios!
¡Gratis y abierto a todos, sin importar la edad!
Bebés, Niños, Entre-edades, y Adolescentes:
1. Inscríbete y obtén tu registro de lectura.
2. Mantén un registro del tiempo que pasas leyendo, ya sea si lees tú mismo/a, o si alguien te lee a ti.
3. Una vez por semana, lleva tu registro a la biblioteca y muéstrales cuánta lectura has hecho o escuchado y recibirás un premio.
1. Inscríbete y obtén tu tarjeta de registro de lectura.
2. Marca un símbolo por cada hora que lees o escuchas a alguien leer.
3. Al completar diez horas de lectura, llena el reverso de la tarjeta. Ésta es tu entrada para nuestra rifa semanal de premios. Entrega tu tarjeta de registro de lectura en la biblioteca.
4. Obtén una nueva tarjeta de registro de lectura y sigue leyendo. Cuantas más tarjetas terminas, ¡más oportunidades tendrás para ganar!
Para ver la lista completa de programas, visita el sitio web abclibrary.org, o llama al 311 o TTY 711.